Begin Your Music Experience Today!
David is a drum instructor with Guitar Center located in Birmingham, AL. He also provides in-person customized drum lessons from his home studio, as well as remote online classes via Skype/Zoom for those outside of the Birmingham area. With over 25 years of experience, David’s high level of expertise and technical skills will help you achieve your goals as a drummer on a timeline that works for you.
What to Expect
Lessons are tailored to suite each individual’s needs, utilizing a curriculum-based approach with focus and emphasis on each student’s individual goals. David provides a patient, friendly and comfortable environment structured to meet the needs, schedule and ambitions of the student.
Students are accepted from all age ranges and skill levels. The average age of a student beginning drum lessons is 7 years old. However, no one is ever too old to take up a musical instrument. Music is enjoyed by all and is fun to learn!
Through a strong commitment, dedication and integrity, David provides a quality music education from the teaching of basic foundational skills to enhancing professional level play.
- Drum kit Basics (set up/about)
- Physical Fundamentals (physical approach to the drum set including posture)
- Grip (how to hold your drumsticks)
- Techniques (finger control; wrist control; bass drum control (foot techniques))
- Dynamics (playing drums at different volumes from soft to loud)
- Around the Drums (includes touch and how to ‘play’ (hit) the drums)
- Reading Fundamentals (music theory) and approach to reading as applied to the drum set
- Counting (includes reading exercises using rests)
- Basic Standard Rhythms (name recognition)
- Grooves and Rudiments
- Snare/Bass Drum Variations
- Different Patterns using 8th notes, 16th notes
- Open Hi Hat Variations (different feels)
- Colors (different sounds around the drums)
- Singles and Doubles on snare drum
- Sticking Patterns (develops playing around the kit)
- Playing Songs
- Rhythm Development
- Inner-Dynamic Mix
- Left Hand Development
- Different Styles of Drumming (rock; jazz; latin (afro-cuban/brazilian); funk; reggae)
- Timekeeping (tempo development using a metronome)
- Tuning Drums
- Playing with other Musicians
- Expanding Your Vocabulary:
- Syncopation (off-beat)
- Linear (everything hits separately)
- Fills and Phrasing
- One on One discussions (insight into valuable experiences and lessons learned)
- Personal Drumming Goals (developing a practice regimen; setting goals; measuring progress
- A Drummer’s Lead Role (the backbone keeping everything together)
Each week you will look forward to your lesson. As we work together to develop your skills through a custom program and curriculum, structured specifically to meet your needs, schedule and goals.