David is a drum instructor with Guitar Center located in Birmingham, AL. He also provides in-person customized drum lessons from his home studio, as well as remote online classes via Skype for those outside of the Birmingham area. With over 25 years of experience, David’s high level of expertise and technical skills will help you achieve your goals as a drummer on a timeline that works for you.
What to Expect
Lessons are tailored to suite each individual’s needs, utilizing a curriculum-based approach with focus and emphasis on each student’s individual goals. David provides a patient, friendly and comfortable environment structured to meet the needs, schedule and ambitions of the student.
Students are accepted from all age ranges and skill levels. The average age of a student beginning drum lessons is 7 years old. However, no one is ever too old to take up a musical instrument. Music is enjoyed by all and is fun to learn!
Through a strong commitment, dedication and integrity, David provides a quality music education from the teaching of basic foundational skills to enhancing professional level play.
- Drum kit Basics (set up/about)
- Physical Fundamentals (physical approach to the drum set including posture)
- Grip (how to hold your drumsticks)
- Techniques (finger control; wrist control; bass drum control (foot techniques))
- Dynamics (playing drums at different volumes from soft to loud)
- Around the Drums (includes touch and how to ‘play’ (hit) the drums)
- Reading Fundamentals (music theory) and approach to reading as applied to the drum set
- Counting (includes reading exercises using rests)
- Basic Standard Rhythms (name recognition)
- Grooves and Rudiments
- Snare/Bass Drum Variations
- Different Patterns using 8th notes, 16th notes
- Open Hi Hat Variations (different feels)
- Colors (different sounds around the drums)
- Singles and Doubles on snare drum
- Sticking Patterns (develops playing around the kit)
- Playing Songs
- Rhythm Development
- Inner-Dynamic Mix
- Left Hand Development
- Different Styles of Drumming (rock; jazz; latin (afro-cuban/brazilian); funk; reggae)
- Timekeeping (tempo development using a metronome)
- Tuning Drums
- Playing with other Musicians
- Expanding Your Vocabulary:
- Syncopation (off-beat)
- Linear (everything hits separately)
- Fills and Phrasing
- One on One discussions (insight into valuable experiences and lessons learned)
- Personal Drumming Goals (developing a practice regimen; setting goals; measuring progress
- A Drummer’s Lead Role (the backbone keeping everything together)
Each week you will look forward to your lesson. As we work together to develop your skills through a custom program and curriculum, structured specifically to meet your needs, schedule and goals.